What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Monday, April 9, 2012

1 Kings 3:9

"Give me a God-listening heart so I can lead your people well,
discerning the difference between good and evil.
For who on their own is capable of leading your glorious people?"
1 Kings 3:9

God asked King Solomon to name anything he wanted. Solomon could have asked for gold or silver. He could have asked for the Israelites to obey his commands as king. But, he didn't. He asked for wisdom. This verse may be King Solomon's request to God, but it should also be our requests to God - especially if we're parents. 

Our children are also God's people and as parents, we should want to lead our children well. We need to be able to discern between good and evil and in order to do that well, we need to have God-listening hearts. In other words: wisdom. But, how many of us parents truly pray for the Lord to give us wisdom? 

I know my heart's prayer is often for my children to obey me better. To listen to me. To do what I say so that my life is easier. In reality, I need to be praying for God's wisdom to know how to handle when my children aren't obeying according to God's will and also to see when they DO God's will so I can show them that I see the good they do, as well. 

I, on my own, am not capable of leading God's children; MY children. My glorious children. I must have God's wisdom in order to do a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment