What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Psalm 71:12-14

"God, don't just watch from the sidelines.
Come on! Run to my side!
My accusers - make them lose face.
Those out to get me - make them look
Like idiots, while I stretch out, reaching for you,
and daily add praise to praise."
Psalm 71:12-14 (The Message)

I'm nowhere near a perfect mom. And my husband is nowhere near a perfect dad. But, we do our best. We meet our kids' needs and give them much of what they want. We love them. We provide for them. We have fun with them. And, we try not to embarrass our kids by disciplining them in front of each other and especially not in front of friends or strangers. But, you know what? When one of my kids decides to tell us, day in and day out, that they hate us - and don't discriminate based on who may or may not be around - well... it gets tiring. And eventually, these parents are going to snap. 

Thankfully, the way I snap today doesn't look like it did in the past. Today, the "snapping" looked more like confronting the child in front of our guests and then, due to the child's continued display of disrespect, sending the child to bed. I'm sorry. I'm not a perfect mom, but a mom can only take so much hearing of the words, "I hate you" before she just needs to confront it. 

I'm worn out. I'm tired. And I pray that I can hold it together and keep my arms reaching for God, continuing to praise him, despite the hatred that is being spewed at me every.single.day from one of my children. May this child lose face from acting like this and may this child not drag me down with them. May I keep my focus on Christ and what He has done for me - and yes... even for this child who spews such venom. May I be the best parent I can be in each moment, teaching all my children to love God in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment