What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Friday, March 9, 2012

Judges 6:23

"But God reassured him, 
'Easy now. Don't panic. You won't die.'
Judges 6:23 (The Message)

It's been awhile since I last blogged because I was dealing with some medical issues, but I'm back now, and am going to start to slowly get back into blogging. I continued to read my Bible while I was under the weather, but stuck mostly to Psalms and Proverbs. However, I did read this in Judges and it really stuck with me. 

I, and many of my friends, sometimes have to deal with these pesky little things called "Panic Attacks", otherwise known as "Anxiety Attacks". They are annoying, to say the least. I can be out at a restaurant and suddenly have to GET OUT OF THERE faster than I can say, "I need to go." Thankfully, we've never actually had to leave due to one of these attacks, but I attribute that to the power of deep breathing. And prayer. 

This verse really hit me when I read it and I plan to memorize it. Often times, during a panic attack, we do feel as if we are going to die. But, am I really going to die because I can't get out of a restaurant fast enough? Am I really going to die because I'm facing some incredibly scary stuff in my life? Not on your life! (pun intended) 

This verse is a great verse to memorize and repeat as a mantra, of sorts, when the panic begins to set in. If you're able, close your eyes, take a few slow, deep breaths, allowing your body to relax deeply with each exhale. Then, just slowly repeat these words, in your mind (or out loud, if able) with each inhale, trying to picture Jesus sitting in front of you, keeping your eye contact, while holding your hands in his: "Easy now. Don't panic.You won't die." 

Doesn't that just bring peace to your soul? Ahhhh...*deep, cleansing breath* I feel better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment