What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Luke 5:16

"As often as possible Jesus withdrew to out-of-the-way places for prayer."
Luke 5:16 (The Message)

I think I just discovered why it's so hard for me to pray sometimes. I try to do my prayer-time in the house, with the phones ringing, text messages coming in and the family interrupting. I haven't gone away to pray in a long time. I used to walk down to the local Catholic church's Garden for the Unborn to sit and pray. I'm not Catholic, but I find such solace there. Or I'd go for long drives and use the driving time to pray. 

I rarely take the time to go off and sit in the Lord's presence anymore. But, this one, little verse tells us that even Jesus often withdrew to pray. If Jesus needed to do this, how much more do we need this? I think, from now on, I need to do this once a day. I don't have to leave my house to do it. I can go sit on the bench, under the tree we have in our front yard. Or I can take the dog for a walk and pray while we walk. Or I can take the kids to the park and wander over to the garden near the park. Or I can even just walk down to the Garden of the Unborn for a little while. But, I do need to start doing this again. 

My relationship with God is the most important thing I have. It's time for me to start putting the building of that relationship into a higher place in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment