What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Luke 4:1-13

This is the passage where Jesus is tested by the Devil. I'm not going to print it all out, but pay close attention to how Jesus responded to all of Satan's temptations. He answered the Devil with Scripture. Old Testament Scripture to be exact. I've been told before that the Old Testament isn't relevant today. That is completely untrue. Almost every time I sit down and read the Old Testament I find little jewels of wisdom that completely pertain to life today. Apparently, Jesus did as well. ;-) It is what He used to fight the Devil there in the wilderness. 

I feel a conviction coming on. If Satan were to come to me today and tempt me with things that look so "pretty" to me, would I have enough Scripture knowledge to fight him? Am I armed with the Sword of the Spirit? Not by a long shot! So, how does one get armed? By memorizing Scripture. By having enough knowledge of the Word of God that I can use it - without thinking - to ward off Satan's attacks. That changes this year. My goal this year is to read the Bible and to memorize Scripture. I'm slow at memorizing, but I have already memorized 3 passages of Scripture and plan to memorize much more this year. .

For a great tool to help you (and your children) memorize Scripture please visit and download The Scripture Memory Connection. I've been using this with my kids for years and they really enjoy it.

1 comment: