What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Deuteronomy 11:18-21

"Place these words on your hearts. Get them deep inside you. 
Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder. 
Teach them to your children. Talk about them wherever you are, 
sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them 
from the time you get up in the morning until you fall into bed at night. 
Inscribe them on the doorposts and gates of your cities 
so that you'll live a long time, and your children with you, 
on the soil that God promised to give your ancestors 
for as long as there is a sky over the Earth." 
Deuteronomy 11:18-21 (The Message)

This is where I have failed my children. I started out with great aspirations of doing this - telling my children all about God and his wonderful deeds. And then my faith took a nose-dive. I couldn't talk about God's wonderful deeds, because I wasn't seeing any wonderful deeds. My eyes were blind to them. Blinded by grief and bitterness. 

I did do what I could do, however, and that was to make sure my kids made it to church and youth group. Yes, I know it's the parents' responsibility to teach our children about the Lord, but when I just couldn't do it, I HAD to rely on others to do for me what I couldn't do myself. I have been so blessed to have solid Christian believers in our lives. Those believers kept my kids on the right path and I am so incredibly grateful to all those who touched our lives during my period of darkness. 

They helped me see that raising a family takes a community of believers. We all need to help each other when we're in the pit. I pray that I have helped someone else's child the way so many in my life have helped mine! So, to all my kids' youth leaders, Sunday school teachers, pastors, and friends... thank you for caring and for taking the time to shower my kids with God's love and compassion! I love you all so very, very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment