What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mark 9:24b

"...I believe! Help me with my doubts!"
Mark 9:24b (The Message)

Doubts. Oh man! Have I been plagued with doubts! If I allow my mind to linger too long on Jesus being raised from the dead, my mind just can't comprehend it, so it begins to doubt it. 

"The Bible is just made up stories to help us live right." 

"Jesus was a real man, but there's no way he could have been 
raised from the dead. This is all just a tactic to get us to believe." 

"What if Jesus isn't the true Messiah and when I die, 
I go to hell because I believed in Him?" 

are just a few of the many doubts that have plagued me through the years. 

But, the Bible says that all it takes is the faith of a mustard seed. (Matthew 17:20, NLT) So, during the times where I've had intense doubt, I still got on my knees and I'd pray this father's prayer. "Lord! I believe, Help me with my unbelief!" Even that little act of faith was enough. And God always helped me be able to keep my faith.

Do I still have doubts today? Oh yeah. I just keep on praying for the Lord to help me with my unbelief and he keeps on giving me the faith I need to get through each day. I pray for the Lord to remove these doubts from me, but you know... the doubts really aren't a bad thing. 

So many people seem to think doubting is a curse. That it's Satan trying to attack us. And it very well may be that he is. However, if we use those doubting thoughts to cause us to seek the Truth, then the doubts are actually a blessing in disguise. Some of the greatest growth in my spiritual walk has been after a time of doubting. Because I got on my knees, I read the Word, and I talked with people I believed to be wise in the ways of God. I didn't allow those doubts to grow and fester. I allowed God to work through those doubts to reveal the Truth to me. 

I encourage you, if you have doubts, seek the Truth. God will reveal it to you. Just make sure you seek out godly people to guide you. If I have doubts, I'm not going to go ask an atheist for advice. (No offense to my atheist friends out there.) If I had questions about grilling steaks, I wouldn't ask someone for advice who had never grilled before. So, why would I ask someone who doesn't believe in what it is I'm questioning? It just doesn't make sense. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment