What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Psalm 51:4-6

"You're the One I've violated, and you've seen it all, 
seen the full extent of my evil. You have all the facts before you; 
whatever you decide about me is fair. I've been out of step 
with you for a long time, in the wrong since before I was born. 
What you're after is truth from the inside out. Enter me, then; 
conceive a new, true life." 
Psalm 51:4-6 (The Message)

In church this past Sunday, our guest pastor talked about sin; a topic many churches fail to talk about much these days. No one wants to be reminded of their sin. Don't we go to church to hear how God's grace covers our sin? But, you know what? We DO need to be reminded of our sin! 

This pastor talked about getting specific with our sin. How often do we pray and ask God to "forgive all our sins we committed this day", but then we don't list any of them? If we don't acknowledge exactly how it is we have sinned against God, how can we show deep conviction to turn away from that sin? Are we really showing God how truly repentant we are when we just say "forgive my sins" or do we show how much our heart grieves us due to our specific sin when we just do a blanket covering like that? 

Some would argue: Well, this passage says that God has seen it all. So, why do I need to list it all for him? Because when we state specifically HOW we have sinned, we can then show true Godly sorrow and repentance. 

I mean really... how long has it been since you've truly searched your heart and looked at each specific way that you sin and bring those things directly before God? I know for me it had been a LONG time. I was so thankful that church ended with communion with a time of reflection before receiving the body and blood of Christ. I used that time of reflection to truly search my heart and I felt so cleansed after receiving communion. 

We can't hide from God, so we might as well own up to all our sins (call it what it is. It's not a mistake. It's not a wrong. It is ugly SIN.) and then repent (which means "to turn away from") of our sins and receive God's Holy forgiveness. Let me tell you, I felt like a yoke had been lifted from my shoulders and I literally feel lighter today. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment