What is "Building A House"?


"Building A House" is a blog about my journey back to God. The name comes from Proverbs 24:3-4 (The Message), "It takes wisdom to build a house, and understanding to set it on a firm foundation; it takes knowledge to furnish its rooms with fine furniture and beautiful draperies."

No, this isn't going to be a blog about making my house look pretty - at least not pretty on the OUTSIDE. But, I'm going to be working on getting my house
"pretty" on the SPIRITUAL side. I'm coming back from a pretty dark place in my life after losing 8 babies to miscarriage. This blog is about my journey back
to the Lord.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Mark 14:32-37

"But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, 
not even the Son. Only the Father. So keep a sharp lookout, 
for you don't know the timetable. It's like a man who takes a trip, 
leaving home and putting his servants in charge, each assigned a task, 
and commanding the gatekeeper to stand watch. 
So, stay at your post, watching. 
You have no idea when the homeowner is returning, 
whether evening, midnight, cockcrow, or morning. 
You don't want him showing up announced, with you asleep on the job. 
I say it to you, and I'm saying it to all: Stay at your post. Keep watch." 
Mark 14:32-27 (The Message)

The verse that really stuck out at me with this passage is "Stay at your post. Keep watch."

This passage is talking about Christ's second coming. If you have read the text prior to this passage, you'll see that Jesus is warning about false prophets. They will predict when Christ is coming, just as they have all through the years, but they will be wrong. However, their message will seem so right that even Christians will be led astray.

So, first of all, how will we know if someone is a false teacher? By staying at our posts and keeping watch. What is our post? The Bible. The only way that we'll be able to discern whether a person is of God or not is by knowing our Bibles - inside and out. We need to "stay at our posts and keep watch" by continually reading the Bible and getting the words committed to our minds. Then, we will be able to see if what the person is preaching is True and from God. But, if we don't know our Bibles, how in the world can we possibly know what is truth from what is falsehood? 

I love the questions that my husband's Life Application Bible lists for knowing if someone is a false teacher or not:
  1. Have their predictions come true, or do they have to revise them to fit what's already happened?
  2. Does any teaching utilize a small section of the Bible to the neglect of the whole?
  3. Does the teaching contradict what the Bible says about God?
  4. Are the practices mean to glorify the teacher or Christ?
  5. Do the teachings promote hostility toward other Christians?
Now, as to when Christ is coming? We won't know that until he is here. But, the Bible is quite clear that his coming will be so awesome that no one will be able to mistake it:

"Then everyone will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds 
with great power and glory. and he will send out his angels 
to gather his chosen ones from all over the world - 
from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven." 
Mark 13:26-27 (NLT)

So, "stay at your posts. Keep watch." There will be no mistake when Jesus Christ comes again! Are you one of his chosen ones? If not, I encourage you to take that step before it's too late. It could be tonight. It could be next week. But, it is definitely going to happen! 
If you're not a follower of Christ, please accept him today. Don't wait. He loves you and wants to be in relationship with you. It is as easy as praying this:

Dear God,
I admit that I am a sinner in need of a Savior. I have tried 
living my life my way but I now know that I need You to guide 
me. Please forgive me of my sins [if you'd like to, list some here]. 
I want the freedom that a life with Christ can bring me. I believe 
that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. I believe he rose again. 
I want to live with him in eternity. Thank you for forgiving me. 
Thank you for sending your Son, Jesus Christ, for me. 
In His name I pray. Amen. 

If you just prayed this prayer, please leave me a comment. I would love to pray for you as you begin your journey with the Lord. I encourage you to contact a local Christian church in your area. You can also read this article at Focus on the Family for more information as to what to do next. You may also contact them and they can help you as you begin your walk with God. I encourage you to get yourself a Bible and start to read it. The Book of Romans or the Book of Mark are great places to start. If you don't have the money for a Bible, please contact The Gideons and I'm sure they would love to give you a free Bible. (This is the group who provides Bibles in hotel rooms.) May the Lord bless you as you begin your new life with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment